Artists - Sculptors
Peter Demetz Curriculum
"I love using waiting, looking or reflecting people because they tell no stories, they give us a perception of the soul"
After completing his studies at the Ortisei Art Institute, Peter Demetz began an apprenticeship under Maestro Heinrich Demetz and earned his Master's Degree in sculpture. In the years since, he has participated in a number of exhibitions in Italy and abroad, including Austria, Germany, the United States, Belgium, and Turkey.
From 1999 to 2001, Demetz studied education, teaching, and the psychology of learning and development, and has been teaching courses and seminars on wood carving since 2001. From 2002 to 2006, he was Head Teacher for the Art Sculpture Course at Germany's Lignea University of Zwickau, as well as the Schneeberg's Faculty of Applied Arts and the Daetz-Centrum in Lichtenstein. Between 2007 to 2010, Demetz won major awards in art shows including "III Trienale Ladina", the "Arciere Award", and the "XVIII Sulmona Prize ".
Considered on of the most interesting contemporary sculptors, Demetz has been actively supported by organizations including the Swarovski Design Center, Wattens, the LKJ-Sachsen Leipzig, and Daetz-Centrum in Lichtenstein.
Demetz' installations push beyond the framework of daily life, capturing the simple gestures and unique poses of his subject, who are often large, balding, and overtly masculine men. His female subjects are represented down to the smallest detail, bringing out the inherent femininity of their accessories, hair, and clothing. Both his male and female subjects are carefully wrought to underline their average status, and specific characteristics indicating their age or social class are underplayed to allow the observer to focus on their essential being, or soul.
Subjects are often rendered from behind, as the author tries to preserve a sense of privacy while at the same time "stealing" a snapshot of his subject. There is never eye contact between the subject and the observer, giving the impression that these figures are trapped in their own world: they are aware of being observed, yet leave an empty space between themselves and the observer.
Demetz communicates a strong sense of soul-searching in his works, which capture subjects in intimate yet mundane moments during which the true nature of existence is often contemplated.
He has collaborated with the White Room Art System since 2011.
- Bologna, Artefiera with the gallery Artforum Contemporary.
- Munich (D), "Masters of Light", gallery Jörg Heitsch.
- Istanbul, "Peter Demetz / Without being watched", SODA Gallery, solo show.
- Milano, gallery Bianca Maria Rizzi & Matthias Ritter, in collaboration with Artforum Contemporary, "Peter Demetz", solo show.
- Miami, Art Miami Context, gallery Liquid art system.
- Durham NC (USA), 21c Museum Hotel, "Seeing Now".
- Istanbul (TR), CI Contemporary Istanbul 10, gallery Liquid art system.
- Capri (I), Certosa di San Giacomo, "Canone Inverso" curated by Marco Izzolino and Lucia Zappacosta.
- Torino, Mastio della Cittadella, "Biennale Italia - Cina".
- Shanghai, SPSI Art Museum, "Visioni contemporanee - Italian Artist in China" curated by Alessandro Demma for IGAV.
- Basel (CH), Scope Art Show Basel with the gallery Jörg Heitsch.EXPO Milano 2015, Padiglione Eataly, "Tesoro d'Italia" by Vittorio Sgarbi.
- Verona, Galleria Giorgio Ghelfi, "Peter Demetz", solo show.
- New York, Art Miami New York with the gallery Liquid art system.
- Milano, Spazioborgogno, "Visioni contemporanee Esperienze di confine tra realtà e immaginazione" by Alessandro Demma for IGAV from Torino.
- Bologna, galleria Artforum Contemporary, solo exhibition "Traversals".
- Bologna, Artefiera, gallery Artforum Contemporary.
- Miami (USA), Art Miami Context, special project Hot Spot "the Exhibition", by Marco Izzolino with the gallery WHITE ROOM, Capri.
- Miami, Art Miami Context, gallery White Room art system.
- Milano, gallery Dream Factory,solo exhibition „Peter Demetz - Reflections".
- Istanbul, CI Contemporary Istanbul, gallery Artforum Contemporary.Zurigo, Kunst Zürich, gallery Heitsch.
- Munich (D), gallery Heitsch, "new masters".
- Capri (NA), Certosa di San Giacomo, "Visoni Contemporanee alla Certosa", by Alessandro Demma for IGAV from Torino.
- Castellabate (SA), Castello dell'Abate, Premio Pio Alferano 2014, artprize "Murat è vivo", by Vittorio Sgarbi and Santino Carta.
- Capri, "l'isola dell'arte", gallery White Room art system.
- Knokke (B), Piretti art gallery, "Hyper Realities.
- New York, Scope Art Show 2014 with the gallery White Room Liquid art system.
- Bologna, Artefiera with the gallery Artforum Contemporary.
- Catania, MacS (Museo Arte Contemporanea Sicilia), group exhibition "Ad Imaginem Suam" by Alberto Agazzani.
- Miami, Art Miami Context, Gallery White Room art systemS.
- Istanbul, CI Contemporary Istanbul with the galleries Artforum and White Room Art System.
- Verona, Art Verona, Gallery Artforum from Bologna.
- Capri, Gallery White Room Capri, "Peter Demetz - looking beyond", by Marco Izzolino.
- Bologna, Artefiera with the gallery Artforum.
- Wangen i.A. (D), gallery In der Badstube, "Bildskulpturen/Seelenlandschaften with Peter Demetz and Bruno Raetsch".
- New York, Scope Art Show New York 2013 with the gallery White Room art system
- Miami, Art Miami Context e Scope Miami with the gallery White Room Art System
- L'Aia (NL), EPO Building, "different similarities - somiglianze differenti", collective exibition curated by Egon Dejori.
- Bologna, galleria ARTFORUM, "Riflessioni", presented by Beatrice Buscaroli.
- ORF 2, "Unverwechselbar", tv service "Südtirol Heute".
- Roma, Palazzo Valentini, sala Egon von Fürstenberg, solo exibition at the invitation of the President of the Province of Rome Nicola Zingaretti.
- Trento, Palazzo Trentini, 54°Biennale di Venezia
- Regione Trentino Alto Adige, curated by Vittorio Sgarbi.
- Pesaro: solo exibition at Hotel Alexander Museum
- Dresda (D): Mostra dei docenti dell'Accademia internazionale estiva di Dresda nella "Motorenhalle", curated by Susanne Altmann
- Milano: Teatro Dal Verme, proiezione di immagini delle opere di Peter Demetz on invitation by Elisabetta Sgarbi
- Egna (BZ): "Peter Demetz", solo exibition"Kunstforum Unterland"
- Chiusa (BZ): "Presence", solo exibition
- Brescia: "Peter Demetz - Willy Verginer - Bruno Walpoth", Galleria dell'Incisione
- Bagnacavallo (RA): "temet nosce", Group exibition with Robert Bosisio, curated by Adriana M. Soldini
- Bologna: "Intime Stanze", group exibition with Robert Bosisio in the gallery Artforum, curated by G.Di Brindisi
- Sulmona (AQ): group exibition
- San Martino in Badia: "mirrored stories", curated by Adam Budak
- Salemi (Sicilia): "Contemplazioni", group exibition curated by Vittorio Sgarbi
- Ortisei:"luce e spazio", solo exibition at circolo artistico di Ortisei (BZ), introduction: Marco Forni
- Ortisei, Sala Luis Trenker: "Arte a confronto", group exibition curated by G. Di Brindisi
- Sardegna: exhibition of the winning and selected the "Premio Archer" in S. Antioco
- Bologna: "materica", group exibition curated by G. Di Brindisi e A. M. Soldini
- Spoleto: monographic exhibition at Palazzo Pianciani as part of "the festival of the 2 worlds", curated by Vittorio Sgarbi (catalog)
- Halle: "HolzArt", group exibition curate by Anke Bachmann
- Prissiano: Fahlburg, "LanaLive", Guppo UNIKA
- Ortisei: UNIKA 2009, group exibition
- Monaco ( Germania ): "Wooden Sculptures", Galleria Andrea s Baumgartl
- Bolzano: Galleria Prisma, exhibition of the winning works of art competition "eroism - inier, ncuei, duman", in collaboration with "Südtiroler Künstlerbund"
- Bologna: Galleria Artforum,"legno parlante", with Bruno Walpoth and Hubert Mussner
- Roma: Il Mitreo-Arte Contemporanea, "Segni di Confine", curated by Maurizio Vanni
- Sant'Agostino(FE): Oratorio, "nebenräume-gli spazi dell'io", solo exibition
- Cento di Ferrara: Castello della Rocca,"nebenräume-gli spazi dell'io", solo exibition
- Merseburg: 3a Kunstmesse
- Milano: Palazzo della Permanente, exhibition of the finalists of the contest winners "Premio Arte 2008"
- Lichtenstein/SA(D): Daetz-Centrum, "Corporeo - impressioni erotiche"
- Milano: Spazio Lattuada, Biennale d'Arte Italiana, curated by Raffaele De Salvatore
- Wangen im Allgäu (D): Kunstmeile Wangen 01
- Bolzano: Galleria Civica, "Stanze", curated by Barbara Bottacin and Ciro Saetti.
- Ortisei: UNIKA 2007, group exibition
- Palma de Mallorca: Galeria trestemps, "Mallorca", with Andreas Scholz
- Istanbul(TR): Fiera di Arte Contemporanea, "Segni di Confine" curated by Maurizio Vanni for the Istituto Culturale Italiano di Istanbul.
- Firenze: Palagio di Parte Guelfa, "L'artista, il Maestro e Margherita, curated by Maurizio Vanni
- Ortisei: UNIKA 2006, group exibition
- Padova: Arte Padova, UNIKA
- Lecce: Metropolitan Art Gallery:"Maestri Scultori Italiani"Merseburg.
- Lichtenstein/SA(D): Daetz-Centrum, "UNIKA-sculture"
- Vienna(A): Wiener Staatsoper,"Tra sogno e realtà"